март 19, 2013

Promotion Killers: Poor Attire


Promotion Killers: Poor Attire

I once saw a tweet on line that said, “The impression you make when first meeting someone is 7% verbal, 28% body language, and 65% visual.”
I retweeted that one. I’m not sure if the numbers are 100% accurate, but they are pretty much aligned with my personal experience. How you dress does count. When you’re going to work, look like you’re going to work – especially if you want that promotion.
If you work for a large company, you’ll notice that your senior executives dress well. Most days, they’ll be wearing a suit. You don’t have to wear suits all the time, but you should follow their example. In general, you’ll find that executives wear clothing that fits well, is clean and in good repair – you should too.
Remember that “business” is the first word in “business casual.” Dress like you’re going to work and are serious about your job.
Here’s a piece of advice I give to my coaching clients. Every morning, before you leave for work, stop and look in the mirror. Ask yourself this question. “Does what I’m wearing today indicate that I respect myself and the people I’ll meet today?” If the answer is yes, go ahead and knock ‘em dead. If no, head back to your closet and change.

Нема коментара: